The Octagon Washington DC Exterior Brick Facade

 
 
The Octagon
The Octagon was constructed between 1799 and 1801. The Tayloe family of Virginia moved into the house in the fall of 1802. The Octagon was originally constructed to be a winter residence for the Tayloe family, but they lived in the house year-around from 1818-1855. The Octagon property originally included a number of outbuildings, including a smokehouse, laundry, stables, carriage house, and an ice house (the only surviving outbuilding) The Tayloes were involved in shipbuilding, horse breeding and racing, and owned several iron foundries—they were fairly diversified for a plantation family. The Tayloes owned hundreds of slaves, and had between 12 and 18 who worked at the Octagon.
Project Contributors

Tag a pro

To top